Hand Knotted Malas
108 Bead Mala with knots between the beads
Longevity Malas ~ hand knotted mala ~ the thread is knotted between each bead providing extra strength and longevity.
As each knot is tied the multiplying mantra ॐ OM RUCHIRA MANI PRAVARTAYA HUM is chanted, infusing the mala & the knots with 108 mantras. This multiplying mantra increases the power of the mantras you recite with the mala.
If you prefer to design your own hand knotted mala with knots please use the custom mala page, it’s an easy step by step process to designing your own custom mala.
The Six Symbols of Longevity
The sage (pictured below) represents Buddha Amitayus – the Buddha of Longevity & Long, Limitless Life. He is also known as Amitabha, he is one of the Five Dhyāni Buddhas & his mantra is OM AMI DEWA HRI.
The sage lives a long, peaceful & contented life, untroubled by the cares of the world. The six symbols of longevity are:
1. a rosary mala symbolising continuity and purity
2. the peach tree imbued with medicinal qualities
3. the strong rocks of longevity
4. the water flowing from the rock is pure nectar of immortality
5. a pair of cranes represent happiness, fidelity & longevity
6. the deer symbolises longevity as it is the only animal capable of locating the plant of immortality
Mala beads are used to count mantra recitations, for meditation, mindfulness, yoga, prayer & reflection. The aim is to feel the beads, recite the mantra and visualise at the same time – involving body, speech & mind. This helps to focus awareness and concentration during meditation.