Design your own Custom Mala in 7 simple steps:
Choose main beads
Select your main 108 beads, some beads incur an extra cost which is displayed within step 1 and at the final total
Choose a guru bead
The guru bead is the larger 3 holed bead
Choose end beads or tassel
- Select 3 end beads with a snake knot – mala beads with a snake knot have a fixed tension
- Select 3 end beads with adjustable knot – this knot slides up and down to alter the tension of your mala beads
- or a cotton tassel – choose from 13 different colours
Choose the thread colour
Select from 13 different colours
Choose counter beads
Optional – 3 counter beads are placed at intervals of 27 beads to aid in mantra counting.
If you choose the same main beads and counter beads, we’ll make your mala with smaller counter beads to add contrast.
Choose bead caps & seed beads
Optional – gold or silver bead caps placed either side of the guru bead and counter beads to enhance the design of your custom mala.
Choose knots between each bead
Optional – we’ll make your mala with knots between each bead
The healing properties of the beads available for custom mala beads are listed here > mala beads & healing
How to use your Custom Malas
- The meditation mala is generally held in the left hand and used with gentleness and respect.
- One bead is counted for each recitation of the mantra, starting with the first bead next to the “guru” bead. The guru bead is usually larger & more decorative.
- Hold the first mala bead between your thumb & forefinger and silently recite one mantra.
- Move your thumb and forefinger along to the next bead of the strand to chant the next mantra; then repeat.
- After completing a full circuit of the mala, flip the mala around 180 degrees (this takes some practice) and continue as before, in reverse order.
- One avoids passing over the “guru” bead, as doing so is symbolically like stepping over one’s teacher.
Mantra for Blessing your Mala Beads
Recite the mantra seven times, then blow on the mala beads. This mantra increases the power of the mantras you recite using your custom mala.
OM RUCHIRA MANI PRAVARTAYA HUM
How to Care for your Custom Mala
When not in use please store your custom malas in a mala bag.
Please don’t wash your mala or wear whilst bathing or sleeping as this can weaken the mala thread.
To clean your mala: gently wipe the beads using a damp cloth and place in sunlight to dry.