Green Dragon Mala Bag
How to Care for your Mala Beads
When not in use please store your mala beads in a mala beads bag.
Please don’t wash your mala or wear whilst bathing or sleeping as this can weaken the mala thread.
To clean your mala: gently wipe the beads using a damp cloth and place in sunlight or moonlight to dry.
If you are wearing your mala everyday please be gentle when taking on and off and periodically check the thread for wear.
How to use your Mala Beads
Our mala beads are suitable for mantra recitation, mindfulness practice, meditation, yoga, prayer & reflection.
- The meditation mala is generally held in the left hand and used with gentleness and respect.
- One bead is counted for each recitation of the mantra, starting with the first bead next to the “guru” bead. The guru bead is usually larger & more decorative.
- Hold the first mala bead between your thumb & forefinger and silently recite one mantra.
- Move your thumb and forefinger along to the next bead of the strand to chant the next mantra; then repeat.
- After completing a full circuit of the mala, flip the mala around 180 degrees (this takes some practice) and continue as before, in reverse order.
- One avoids passing over the “guru” bead, as doing so is symbolically like stepping over one’s teacher.
Mantra for Blessing your Mala Beads
Recite the mantra seven times, then blow on the mala beads. This mantra increases the power of the mantras you recite using your mala beads.
OM RUCHIRA MANI PRAVARTAYA HUM